These winter skies cast a grey light in my photos! Ah, well – at least spring will come soon! I’m looking forward to seeing these pink sweet peas in my garden again. They’re a perennial pea, or Everlasting pea. They don’t have any frangrance like the annual sweet peas. It’s a vigorous growing plant that will readily reseed and spread. I put it by my front door where it gets all the hot, direct, summer sun and it has thrived! It reaches 8 feet tall and blooms happily. The hummingbirds like it too ; )
I’m picking up an old personal project again – I’d started a series of flowering vines in the fall and this one got inked in and then sat waiting for paint the last couple months! So far I’ve done Honeysuckle, Blue Morning Glories, Clematis, and Burple Bell Vine…do you have any favorite flowering vines you’d like to see illustrated? My Mom already wants me to paint another blue morning glory because I sold the other one last week. She wants her own to hang up on the wall ; )
I played around with whites today. I finally got the Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bleed Proof White that I’d heard works so well. I’d been using opaque white gouache for adding finishing details and highlights to my illustrations, but sometimes it took many layers to get the opacity I wanted. This bleed proof white is just what I needed!
Do you remember *way* back to the sample of watercolors I got from Sennelier? I squeezed all the paint in those sample tubes into some half pans so that not a drop would be wasted ; ) The paints were perfect primaries for mixing and I had fun playing around with the sample colors.
Then, my Aunt gave me the Aqua-mini from Sennelier and I’ve used it since as my travel palette – compact and equipped with a little brush – perfect for little sketchbook paintings. My only complaint was that there wasn’t much space for mixing colors or making washes…so I put a MEEDEN paint box on my wishlist that would fit 12 half pans!
Now I have all my Sennelier half pans in one set together – and still in a small enough tin to take anywhere/anytime! It has plenty of spaces for mixing colors and I keep my travel brushes inside too. I’m so ready for spring and getting outside to paint again now!
I ordered a Society6 phone case as a gift for someone special – it has my English Garden print on it! I took these pictures of the phone case before sending it out to a very dear girl! It is well made and we’re both so glad it’s going to work great! I’m impressed to see how well my art is printed on this product – the image is printed clearly with true colors!
Find more fun items in my S6 shop! HERE!
Oh my! Is it february already? What happened?! I’ve been too busy lately around here! Here’s your calendar a couple days too late – sorry! Download your free desktop calendar HERE – Enjoy!!
I know it’s been a little quiet over here in the painting department lately! All of my painting this month is going into a project that I can’t reveal just yet ; ) I thought you’d like to know that I am still painting behind the scenes and have shared these little sneak peeks over on instagram if you follow me over there. I’ll be able to tell you all about it in a couple months – stay tuned!
Firstly, these leaves are totally awesome and I had so much fun figuring out how to make them! I saw this plant in the wild when we were camping here in Maine one year. I used that plant for the size/shape of the leaves. When I looked up Sarracenia purpurea on the internet I saw other sizes and a range of greens and red coloring…so I went with the leaves I’d seen in the wild myself.
The flower was also fun to figure out. It has a large style that’s all one flat piece on top of the ovary…then the row of 5 petals is sometimes not present, but there are always 5 sepals…the one I saw in the wild had both. The pitcher plant was my most exciting wildflower sighting ever. It was a beautiful specimen and so exotic looking – and it makes a great crepe paper flower!
I’ve finally bought a light box! It’s super thin, so I can fit it between pages in my sketchbooks if I need to, and it has 3 brightness settings (low and medium shown above) for different papers…it’s awesome! I don’t have to draw up against a window to get light any more ; ) And, it’s just in time for a big project I have to do this month! YAY!
So, while I think this came out well enough for a crepe paper flower, I do not think it looks like a clintonia borealis – the proportions/flowers aren’t quite how I want them…I’ll have to try this flower again when I’ve aquired more skill with crepe paper! I’ll have a chance to look at the real flowers this spring when they bloom – maybe I can take my crepe paper out to the woods and try again ; )